Become a Member
Maybe you have been visiting our church and would like to explore joining our church. We have developed a “Path to Membership” to help you learn more about Unitarian Universalism and to find out what becoming a member means. Whether you have been attending for a few weeks, a few months or longer, we would like you to consider becoming a member of the UU Church of Long Beach.
Membership in the Unitarian Universalist Church of Long Beach is open to those 16 years or older who support the Church’s Purposes and Principles.
STEP 1: Attend a Membership Class
A membership class is offered three times in a calendar year. In this class you will
- share your personal religious journey
- learn about the history of Unitarian Universalism
- hear how generations of Unitarian Universalists have contributed to our religious community
- discover the church’s many programs & activities
- learn how you can share your talents & treasures
- enjoy lunch with other prospective members
- be invited to become a member, and take the next step…
Let someone at the Welcome Table after any church service know you are interested in taking this class. There is a simple form to fill out.
STEP 2: Attend Minister’s Orientation
Our minister will have a brief orientation with interested people. This is an opportunity to get to know her better and for you to share your stories and your questions. Childcare is provided. If you would like a personal conversation with our minister, please contact her by calling the Office or contact her here.
STEP 3: Sign the Membership Book and be recognized at New Member’s Sunday Service
New Member Signings are held three times through the year, for those who have attended both the orientation and the class, and choose to sign the membership book. The signing occurs during the first and/or second service:
- you will sign the membership book before the congregation
- at the Service, church members will covenant with you to support your spiritual journey and your deeper involvement in the life of our church
- after the Service, you can join everyone for cookies/cake and coffee or tea where you will be welcomed by members and friends of this faith community
Direct any questions about membership to Diane Julian, Membership Coordinator, by calling the church office during office hours or leaving her a message. She can also be reached here. You may also speak to a member of the Membership Committee at the Welcome Table on Sunday mornings.